Monday, September 28, 2009

Thorn




I am actually just now posting about the death of our dog Thorn although she did die about 2 months ago. I am still to this day, as I know Vincent is, grieving her death. She was known to most as a mean dog but we knew her other sides. She was a true friend and to us almost human. She never threatened us, only protected us and made us feel safe. She was the best hiker, guard dog, best friend, laziest, sweetest, happiest, funniest, toughest and most beautiful dog that we had ever known. She died at around 630 in the morning in Vincent's arms. She had been having heart problems and was on around 6 or so pills a day. We knew she was dying but we just dreaded it. Her final day she ran up the stairs on the porch into her daddy's arms where she definitely felt safest and had another "episode" (we called each heart attack that) and just did not ever wake back up. It sounds stupid to many people to be so sad about her death but Vincent and I have never been sadder. She was our family and we truly feel like we still have a missing piece without her. She is just so missed.


6 comments:

The Hadfields said...

So sorry! :(

Courtney said...

what a sweet post to do in memory of thorn! i got a little teary reading it. i know how much y'all loved her and how much you miss her.

mom said...

I know how much you loved her, and although I was not one of her close personal "friends", I could see the qualities you described. I am not suprised that it took you 2 months to even write about her.She was a great gal, and she had a great life and a perfect death, if there is such a thing.

Vanessa said...

sweet little description of the old girl. I know Vincent spent some of his best times with her. I'm sorry for all of you that she had to go.

Mindy said...

tear jerker becky! I am so sorry for you and vincent, I know it must have been so hard. As lazy and food stealing as sage is, I will be besides myself when she is not part of our family anymore! I am positive she knew how much she was loved!

Morgan Holt said...

awww...Becky...I feel for you! We had to put our dog down that I grew up with a couple of months ago. I couldn't even bear to think about it. She was having terrible seizures and was falling into my parents pool. We didn't want her to drown since she was so old. Dogs are part of the family and I totally understand what you are going through.